Monday 16 February 2009

Back to Basics

Well since the last post I've got the painting table up and running again, better than before actually. More streamlined and organised. It pays to have to pack up everything and then unpack and organise. It helps you to re-evaluate what is on the agenda and leave the other things packed while you enjoy stuff that you may not have seen for a year or more.
On the figurine front I am still fully engaged by the Warmachine and Hordes models, whether for my growing army or for simply painting. I am varying my models to keep myslef from burning out. I began anew with the Alt. Capt. Haley model from PP and did a bit of resculpting and used her epic figurine's arm to change her pose quite drastically considering the minimal effort.
At the same time I'm working on a Werner Klocke figurine, the Xmas 06 limited figure. Limited to 1000 each figure's base is stamped with it's number and includes a signed card with the number written on it. She represents Frankensence and is an oriental beauty with a large incense censer on chains.




Since my Cygnar army is a new start for me, that I can utilise a lot of my Merc's with, I'm back to the Battlebox and the basic units again. The Charger and Grenadier light Warjack's are complete now, and Haley, my Warcaster, is 80% done. The hardest part lies ahead...the fine details. Other than that I'm prepping a line up of Trencher troops for painting. Two basic troopers, who will be painted slightly differently to their mates as I will be using them to reload the Grenadier's Grenade launcher. Mwah ha ha ha ha! I did some research on the Queens Grenadier Guard and besides already using their Sea-grey trench coats I will be painting the front plating on the two Grenadier troops black with a white piping on the edge. This doesn't seem like much, but I think that they will stan out from the rest just a bit. The other Trenchers are the Master Sergeant and Sharpshooter. The Sharpshooter is lying over a wall of sandbags (mediocre at best) that I will be consigning to the bitz box and sculpting my own set for him. Last, but def not least, is Capt. Maxwell Finn. A mean character figurine with a mini slugger gun, an antiquaited machine gun that he slogs around with. He will offer some variety in the production line as he has some extra details that I can take advantage of. The Master Sgt only has the one set of 'wings' on his shoulder plate to designate rank, whereas Finn has many small details that I can pick out on him.
The only problem that I think I'm going to run into is the loss of impetus when it comes to the Cygnar painting. It will be my first army with a completely coherent colour scheme. It works fantastically, especially with the fluff related to the army, but is a bit boring. My own fault really in that I picked the colours of the Classic comic Batman for the army. This toned down scheme of Sea-grey, light grey and black is very striking, it lends a more sinister look to the otherwise bright Cygnar forces. ...And being a coastal force waylaying ambushes from the sea and coastline they need to blend in a bit more than the traditional Blue and Yellow. I will keep a few Merc models in the mix, since they are much more colourful and varied and will keep me from getting bored with the muted tones of my growing force.


On the Mercenary front, I have just completed a second Talon, quite a lot of converting was done on him since I had a theme going for him. He is to be Dirty Meg's (the pirate 'jack marshal) sidekick, and since I'm starting out with some Cygnar stuff and since the Talon is a decommissioned Cygnar 'jack I thought to add some bits that show where he's from, including a 'jack medal for service during the Scharde invasions. That was an interesting build as I had a week to complete it and paint it. Well I finished sealing him minutes before I left for the club this Saturday to use him in a 1000 pnt game with Cameron against Tim 'the sneak' Morris.



My next few will be a blister pack of Steelhead Halberdiers to fill my unit to 8, still not complete...but stronger. I also plan to do a Steelhead conversion of Ashlynn d'Elyse, the Laelese warcaster. Her poppet head must go!!! A shoulder plate change is in the cards as well.
However, I greatly anticipate this year's releases as I will hopefully see the beginings of my Iosan/Nyss Retribution army come to fruition.
I'll keep ya posted,
til next,
G

1 comment:

Shadow said...

Hey! I represent that sneak comment.

I can understand about the sticking to one colour scheme. I've ran into that problem with the circle. While orginally I liked the idea and colours I'm now finding myself wanting to paint something different. Still I find the fact that your cygnar looks drasticly different to just about any Cygnar force I've seen makes it stand out. And will only make any merc's included in it stand out all the more.